Sunday, March 4, 2012

ASL Interpreting

Though I really enjoyed my ASL class this last semester, I always felt a little behind these other students. I haven't been studying for nearly as long as they have and I don't feel as fluent as they seem to be. The program that I am currently in doesn't have a lot of students and is still a very new program. In fact the first graduating class is planned to be Spring of 2013. I just knew that since I was so far behind that I didn't stand a chance of graduating with the rest of them! Since I knew I wasn't ready for these classes I didn't sign up for the interpreting class for this next semester. When my fellow students found out about this they were quick to tell me how wrong I was. They pointed out that I had just taken a class taught solely in ASL and didn't even have to take the final because I had an A in the class. They pointed out that I had to interview to get into the class I was in now and the head of the department obviously thought I signed as well as the rest of them. After some convincing and meeting with the head of the department again, I will hopefully be joining that first graduating class! I start my first interpreting class soon and I must say that I am a little nervous. Thankfully they start us in baby steps and this is just that first step. Wish me luck! I am going to need it :)

No comments: