Saturday, March 3, 2012

ASL Final

With finals coming up I was particularly nervous with my ASL final. This was a linguistic ASL class and the whole class was devoted to learning all of the different grammatical parts of ASL. We had to watch videos for our homework and find various parts of speech in these movies. I would watch these movies over and over and over and over and over and over and still not have the slightest clue what they were talking about. I could pick out enough to do well on the homework but my comprehension was really bad on these videos. I knew that our final was going to be the same set up and I was freaked out!

Each week as we would discuss the upcoming final I would ask a series of questions?
Is the final video as hard to understand as the DVD for the homework?
Okay but is it going to be hard for me to understand or for you to understand? (My teacher was Deaf and didn't seem to think that our DVD was all that hard to understand)
Do we only get to watch it once or can we watch it over and over and over again?
How long do we have to find these things?
How hard did they find this final last semester?

After answering these questions several times she seemed to get the hint that I was freaked out about her final. It was finally time to take the final. I knew that I had studied as hard as I could and would just have to hope that it was enough. My teacher approached me before the final started and told me that I currently had a 92% in her class. I told her that that was okay and thanked her for letting me see that. I then began to calculate what grade I would have to get on my final to still get an A in the class. My teacher seemed to notice that I had understood her wrong and she told me, “No!”. “No, what?” I asked back. She then explained that if I didn't take the final at all that I would have a 92% in the class. After understanding that a 92% was the lowest grade that I could get in her class, I sat back enjoyed my final and got a 95.5% on it! Let me just say that I worked hard for that A and am so very proud of it!

No comments: