Thursday, July 26, 2012

Missionaries at the Library

So remember how I just said that I am so lucky to have my job? It isn’t always a bed of roses and Monday night was an example of that. Right before the shift change we had a woman report that a man tried to rob her by stealing her purse. At that point my only option is to call the police and I did. The man kept accusing me of being racist and I have learned that it is best to just not to respond. I get so tired of hearing “it’s because I am brown/native” as an excuse for any behavior but I don’t react anymore. The man was acting really sketchy and he kept holding his shirt funny. He either just stole library materials or he was holding a weapon and I wasn’t really willing to gamble which was which. However, I knew that I would be just fine because the missionaries were at the library. I had noticed that there two sets of Elders emailing home that afternoon and I knew that at least one set was only a few steps away. Knowing that I had worthy Priesthood holders within 30 feet of me was all I needed to stay calm. Especially when I tried to call 911 only to find our phones no longer dial that number. Is that even an option? That has since been fixed but it was such a comfort to know that I had the missionaries there with me. I hope that they know what a comfort they were to me and I am grateful that they were in my library at that moment and I felt they were there for me. I hope they come back next P-day to come email home again…. Though we might have scared them off with this last week!

No comments: