Friday, July 6, 2012

Kidnapping Children A.K.A. AMOR

Without having kids of our own we are always looking to try to borrow other people’s children. We have offered countless times to watch kiddos while their parents go on dates and we have NEVER been taken up on it. Last week I offered once again and this time they asked if Saturday would be too soon. Marc and I were so excited! On Friday night I was reading the Ensign when I came across an article about Alternative Mothering Opportunities. This woman couldn’t have children and so she went out of her way to find ways that she could be a mother to children that weren’t her own. I talked to Marc about how the next day would be my own opportunity for an Alternative Mothering Opportunity. I exclaimed that we could have to find a better acronym than A.M.O. for these types of situations and Marc came up with A.M.O.R. Alternative Mothering Opportunities Revamped. So the next day we were off for some A.M.O.R. I was expecting something along the lines of New Hampshire to happen again. I was with Melissa’s kiddos all the time and loved it! Can I just say that night taught me how amazing my niece and nephews are and how much I miss them!!! It was a good night of watching the kiddos and having some good teaching moments for me. We had one kiddo that was having a hard time because he usually doesn’t get left with anyone else and he just wanted to be with his whole family again. I sent my mom a frantic text when I realized that he was going to cry himself to sleep and he hadn’t even eaten dinner yet. Of course my mom knew just what to do and the night continued. It was fun to make homemade pizzas and Oreos with the kiddos and we finished off the night with a movie. It took the kids FOREVER to pick a movie and by the time it happened 2 of the kiddos were already passed out. I am looking forward to my next experience and am hoping it has more amor in it. However, it was a true example of what mothering is like and that is what I needed. I wanted a nice, easy, peaceful night but I got what I asked for. So in case you didn’t know, be careful for what you wish for!

No comments: