Monday, May 28, 2012

Easter

Easter was really unorthodox and amazing this year. I was so exhausted from my crazy work schedule and school that I didn’t want to celebrate Easter on Easter weekend. Then I found out that Marc had the day off of work and I was starting to feel really selfish in not doing an Easter dinner for a day that we could spend together. Late Saturday night, Marc and I went shopping for our Easter dinner. Let me just admit that I had NO IDEA what I was doing but I figured we have been married for two years and I could be a little bit more domesticated. So we started shopping and I was hoping that I wouldn’t totally butcher Easter dinner. When we started shopping Marc and I kept buying too much food. It started with things like a 5 lb bag of potatoes. Marc and I can’t eat 5 lbs of potatoes but you can’t really buy any less than that. Then it came to eggs and they were on sale and we bought a LOT of eggs. It was things like that just over and over again. I kept feeling really guilty about all this food but I kept justifying that Marc was going to be home and this was our Easter. Anyway, on Easter morning we got up and started our preparations. We had most of our dinner either cooking or started in the crockpot by the time we left for church. When we got to church we discovered that our friends had been so busy with life and such that they had forgotten to make the preparations for an Easter dinner. I knew that we had more than enough and Marc and I quickly schemed to take our dinner over to their house. I was so grateful for how willing and excited Marc was to give away his Easter dinner. I was feeling really guilty that I offered to make it for him and then was giving it away at the first chance I got. But he was all in and was even more excited about the whole thing than I was! Suddenly the ridiculous amount of food that I had cooked seemed too little for this family. However, we threw in things like a green bean casserole and egg salad and prayed that we would have enough food. It was really nice to be able to share our Easter meal with another family and honestly Marc and I were as blessed as this other family. I have decided that this might be my favorite Easter even though I didn’t do a single Easter tradition. Marc and I didn’t dye eggs or have baskets full of candy but we had a TRUE Easter. I feel that through our service and our love of this other family that we were able to remember what Easter really celebrates. Our Savior would have taken the time to take food to someone who needed it or would have wanted us to celebrate in service rather than any other way. This is a tradition that I hope will continue in the future and I hope that next year I will know who is need of our Easter dinner.

No comments: