Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Deaf Social Night

I love Deaf Social Nights and our area is really good about having them fairly often. This is such a great way to be involved with the community and to practice my skills. It is so nice to be in a room where I can talk with my hands and not get looked at funny! This particular night we went to a pizza restaurant and I fell in love with their calzones. I had a great time talking with my teacher’s children and meeting my teacher for next semester. It was interesting though because I was signing with a friend and not even really thinking about what I was doing and our conversation didn’t have any tricky signs but suddenly we were stopped by the person next to me and she kept asking what was that sign or what does that mean. It gave me a moment to reflect on how far I have come. I realized that I wasn’t really thinking about handshape or movement but just signing. It was a nice relief to see that I wasn’t a 101 student anymore and though I still am far from perfect that I have come a long way. I also felt really quite honored to be able to answer her questions and know that I had enough knowledge to do so correctly. It was a very fun night!

No comments: