Friday, June 1, 2012

Playing at the Baptism

I have been attending the Spanish Branch along with my regular ward for the last few months and loving it. Well, no one loves 5 hours of church but I love being able to attend the Spanish Branch and so it is worth it. One of the things that I have discovered with this Branch is that I am one of the few people who can play the piano. It is a really neat experience to know that my skills are truly needed. In every other ward I have ever attended, I feel like half of Relief Society can play the piano and at least 80% of them can play better than me. Being in this Branch has really made me want to improve my piano skills because they are needed and they aren’t just a nice benefit. But with this talent that I have comes obligation. I was recently asked to play for a baptism and I was so scared. They wanted me to play a song that had lots of runs and required lots of practice but sadly it didn’t get as much as it needed. When it came time for the baptism I was just praying that I wouldn’t butcher the entire thing too badly. I was relieved to see that the program had changed and I was only going to have to play one song and that was the one that I could definitely play. I felt like the Lord had answered my prayers and I wouldn’t have to worry about ruining this young man’s baptism but would still be able to provide the music for this special day. It was a really neat experience and I look forward to being able to play again soon.

No comments: