Friday, June 15, 2012

Mother's Day

Over the past few years, I have had the realization that I most likely will not get to be a mother in this lifetime and that has taken a lot of tears and a lot of patience to try and understand. I feel that though I can’t be a mother to my own children that I try really hard to be a mother to those around me or to take on a mothering-ish role. I call my niece and nephews “my kiddos” and I try to interact with kids as much as possible. But knowing that I am not a “mother” can make Mother’s Day really hard. Even when I hear comments like “Happy Mother’s Day to you too…. Oh wait, I guess you aren’t a mother yet.” REALLY!!! Who needs those comments? I really feel like Mother’s Day is for all women. One of the greatest examples that I have for a mother doesn’t actually qualify by the worldly standards but anyone who tells me she isn’t a mother is sorely mistaken. I am so grateful for all of the wonderful women in my life and for how each of you has shaped me and my husband into the people that we are. I love that Marc still calls and talks to his mother quite often and I love that she has been such a wonderful mother to him. I am so grateful for my own mother and for the other mothers that I have had. I am grateful for the mother’s of my friends and how they would take me into their home. I am grateful for the various mothers that I have had through my employment and through church. I hope that you all had a fabulous Mother’s Day, even for those like me who are “mothers”.

No comments: