Monday, February 20, 2012

Marc's Birthday Present

All Marc wanted for his birthday was another cat. I was super against the idea and definitely didn't want to add another little one to our family. He kept insisting and I could see how much it meant to him. I have a very strange bond to our first cat and unless you have witnessed it, it is really hard to explain. But let's just say she is the best thing that has happened since we got married. I think Marc was still trying to find that bond with an animal and hadn't succeeded yet. I knew that he was just going to keep searching until he bonded with an animal and so I finally relented and we went to look at cats. We found one through the humane society that was just the sweetest thing. She slept in Marc's arms the entire time we were there and so super mild mannered. I thought that she would make a good addition because the other cats wouldn't be threatened by her. I mean this little puff ball would sleep just as much as the rest of them. So we named her Aurora after the Disney movie “Sleeping Beauty” and brought her home with us.

Aurora had caught a cold at the Humane Society and so she couldn't be around the other cats for awhile. We put her in the laundry room so she would be warm and she still was just the sweetest little thing though she meowed a little for being shut up in the room. Once Aurora was introduced to the other animals I felt a little tricked. This was not a cat who would just sleep all day, in fact I am still not sure she has slept since we got her! She is fondly known as “The Terrorist” in our home and is constantly finding new ways to drive me crazy!

Aurora is constantly amazing me at how demanding she can be. When we first brought her home she would wake up Carmel and demand that he give her a bath. Carmel would give her a bath and let her snuggle with him until she fell asleep in his arms. Carmel would then proceed to go back to sleep. I was amazed at how patient the other cats were with her.

Though the cats seemed to adapt nicely to having Aurora around the dogs didn't work quite so well. Aurora doesn't like the dogs at all! In fact if they even look at her she is spitting and hissing at them. In fact both dogs are now scared of her but that works out alright because they behave really well when she is around and Kovu no longer chases any of the cats.

All in all she has been a fun addition to our little family and Marc loves her bunches. I am glad that he is so fond of her and that he enjoys his birthday present so much! But next year he is getting something that isn't living, like weights, music, movies, something....



No comments: