Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Description of Christ – By Alijah

Today in Sharing Time they were having the children color pictures of Christ as a baby. They were trying to bring out the point that we can give the baby Jesus presents like the wise men did by being nice to our siblings, reading our scriptures, etc. The older children were asked to write what they would give and the younger children were just asked to color it. One boy in my class is a great colorer! He loves to take his time and never colors outside the lines, etc. In fact he always has to finish his projects at home because he takes forever because he is so careful.
Well today Alijah was very concerned with coloring the picture properly. He didn’t want to color the picture wrong and so he was asking me questions about how Jesus Christ would have looked. He started by making sure that he got a pale enough color for the baby’s face. He told me that the baby wouldn’t be tan because he was just born. But then he asked me about his hair. What color would it be? I responded that most artists have his hair be brown. He accepted this answer and picked out a brown crayon but continued to color the baby’s face. He thought about the hair color some more and then told me he thought I was wrong. I asked him what color he thought Jesus’ hair should be. He told me that it would have some red in it with the brown like his hair. I responded that Jesus’ would be very beautiful if he had hair like Alijah. Alijah then decided that the baby Jesus would have had a red blanket, of course! He continued coloring and I continued to watch. Suddenly, Alijah looked up at me and said, “Do you want to know what I know?” Seeing as Alijah tells me all sorts of interesting facts, like that dinosaurs watch us be born, I responded that I would love to hear what he knows. He looked at me very matter-of-factly and said, “Jesus has blue eyes.” I quickly responded that he definitely could have blue eyes but I didn’t know for certain and we would have to ask him when we got to heaven.
It just made me laugh how certain he was about Jesus’ eye color and blanket color but had to ask initially about his hair color. But thankfully Alijah knows everything and quickly determined that Jesus must have brown/red hair!

No comments: