Monday, February 27, 2012

The Effects of Signing – By Dylan

One of the things I love about my CTR class is how unique they can be. Today we were talking about paying tithing and we had worked really hard to understand the concepts and how the whole process works. There was a point in the lesson where it asked us to sing a song. This particular little boy starts to wiggle his arms and dance every time we start to sing and so I came prepared and was going to teach him to sign this song. I figured then his hands would be doing something and it might limit the dancing. So we signed the first verse and then the second verse and I was going to do it all together when this little boy stopped me. This is how our conversation went:
Me: Alright are you ready to put them together?
Dylan: No.
Me: Do you not like signing it?
Dylan: (No response but he starts to move his hand like it hurts)
Me: Does your hand hurt?
Dylan: No my leg hurts.
Me: Why does your leg hurt?
Dylan: Because I have been holding my breath and it isn’t getting enough oxygen.
Me: Well why are you holding your breath, silly? You can breathe and sign at the same time.
Dylan: I am holding my breath so that I can practice for when I get baptized! I don’t want to get water in my nose!
Me: Okay, then we won’t sign it again so you can practice holding your breath.
Apparently there is a very direct correlation between not being able to sign because your leg hurts. There also seems to be a very serious condition that exists because one is holding their breath causing their leg to not get enough oxygen. But on the plus side, Dylan will be super prepared for his baptism (which is 3 years away) because he will know how to hold his breath so he doesn’t get any water up his nose!

No comments: