Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Getting Ready for Thanksgiving

Let me just say that I love Marc's family. I have never had a bad encounter with them and they are always so welcoming and friendly. With that being said I still seem to have a panic attack every time we see them. I am still so afraid that I will do something wrong or that they will realize that I am not perfect and really their son could have found a better wife. Up until now, Marc had usually been around while we were around his family. For this trip Marc would only be there on Thursday and I would be on my own the other days. I was especially nervous that I would mess this trip up!

This year for Thanksgiving we were hanging out with the Dennis family. Well, we were hanging out with Marc's family but technically it was the Hadley family and not the Dennis family. I was in panic mode. Not only were we hanging out with Marc's family but they were going to see our house. Our house still needs quite a bit of work on it and I wanted it to be perfect before they came. We spent a lot of time cleaning and preparing for this visit and the closer it came the more panicked I got! Marc was ready for the holidays to be over already so that I could return to be a normal person and not like a crazy person anymore.

Marc's family showed up the day before Thanksgiving. They were tired from just having traveled all day but we were excited to see them and have the opportunity to catch up with them. They had fun showing off their newish car, they have owned it for a little bit but Marc and I hadn't seen it yet. It had all sorts of fun features and we enjoyed turning on the car with just the touch of a button as well as playing with the car's lights. We had dinner at IHOP and laughed and joked around. I quickly realized that I was silly for having been so panicked about seeing them again. After dinner Marc's Mom went to bed and the rest of us headed over to our house to play Pinnacle. This is a game that is critical in the Dennis family and they play it any chance they get! I first learned it because I felt that I couldn't be a Dennis if I didn't play Pinnacle. But playing it with them that night made me realize how much I have missed seeing them! Marc and I are always saying that we need to find another couple that plays Pinnacle but really most people our age haven't even heard of it let alone actually play it!

The only problem that we run into with their visit is that his family is allergic to animals. When we first got married Marc told me that we wouldn't ever be able to own animals. I had wanted animals of my own since I was a little girl and now even as an adult I couldn't own any. I was very sad! I then realized that Marc's Mom's best friend owned like 6 cats and they hung out all the time. I said that if Michelle could own animals than I could too! I hadn't realized how allergic his family was though until they came to visit. Eric tried to stay the night with us and the boys stayed up playing video games WAY TOO LATE! But Eric finally had enough at about 3 A.M. and Marc took him back to the hotel that they were all staying at. It was such a fun day and I was excited to spend more time with them!

No comments: