Friday, February 24, 2012

Hanging Out With The Dennis Family Day 3

On Saturday we weren't really sure what we wanted to do. I knew that there were local attractions near by and I suggested a few but honestly didn't even know what the plan was until we were on the road that morning. At first we stopped by Sunset Crater. We quickly discovered that we weren't going to be able to do as much as we wanted and so decided to try some of the other attractions. We did have fun making “earthquakes” in the visitor center though.

Our next stop was Meteor Crater. This was cool and definitely worth seeing once but honestly it is a giant hole in the ground. I guess that is what the Grand Canyon is too but this one is less impressive in comparison. This attraction was cool to see after my astronomy class though because I understood way more than I would have otherwise.

We then drove on to Walnut Canyon. This is going to be a place that I hope to visit often. I LOVED this stop. We showed up and honestly were the last people they let on the trail that day. In fact we were cutting it close enough they had us pay on our way out rather than on our way in. We hiked down a LOT of stairs but it was totally worth it to see those ruins. They were houses everywhere in that canyon. Some on surfaces that completely boggled the mind to even look at! I kept thinking that I would hate being a woman because they were in charge of hiking in and out of the canyon each day to get water. And raising children in a place like that? Oh my goodness, I couldn't even begin to imagine. This is a place that I definitely want to go back to one day with Marc. I also wished that I had brought my camera. It was full of pictures from the previous two days and I had forgotten to put the pictures on my computer. I will have to remember next time! We then hiked back out of the canyon and honestly there were a LOT of stairs! I just kept thinking that Melissa would think I was a wimp because she hikes more stairs than that all the time.

We drove back into town and hung out at the mall until Marc got off of work. We then ate at Ruby Tuesdays. I hadn't ever eaten there before but their salad bar was so good! I am so glad that Marc's Mom suggested that we went!

As it was our last night together we went back to their hotel and played Pinnacle until the adults were ready for bed. Then we let the boys (Marc and Eric) play Halo while the rest of us slept. It was such a fun trip and I can't wait to see them again. We were so lucky to get to spend time with them and will have that opportunity again, hopefully sooner rather than later!

No comments: