Saturday, August 11, 2012

AZTI DAY 4

These posts are edited emails that I would send home to Marc each night. I can’t even express how awesome this opportunity was and how extremely grateful I am that I got to attend. I am totally asking to go again for Christmas because it was amazing! WARNING*** These posts are REALLY long! Today, I didn't go to breakfast again... I needed the sleep more and my body wasn't done processing the last food I ate so it wasn't a big deal. I went to my acting group and we made all of the last minute things for our play. Then it was time for class and I had a statue game with David and Michael. Okay first of all I have to tell you that I LOVE Michael he the funniest person! He just makes me laugh and has this laugh that is contagious. He is really vocal for being Deaf and it makes it even funnier. Anyway, several people had to pose in various positions and then we had to use classifiers to describe them. It was a good exercise and really made you try to figure out how to use your body and your hands appropriately. Anyway, then we had an interpreting class with Maureen. It was a really good experience to see things from both the Deaf and the hearing viewpoint at the same time. It was really interesting and I felt like I learned a lot! I got to play the part of a hearing doctor and I was impressed at how much I was able to understand and catch without being the interpreter. Anyway, then it was time for lunch and I again ate a salad. Then we had a "Deaf Film Festival" and I was bummed to learn that it was just our signed videos that we did the other day. I fell asleep during the festival. But can you blame me? They made it quiet, though it is always quiet around here, it was dark, I was comfy.... that equals SLEEP! Anyway, then we got to choose our class our three options, 1 - Religious signing, 2 - Classifiers Class, 3 - Universal Signs and Gestures. I went with the religious signing and really enjoyed the class. It was done very well and very open mindedly and I just loved it! I wrote down a bunch of notes but I want to film myself signing them before I forget what my notes mean! I have a page front and back just full of notes! I then went and made 3 pig tails and waited until it was our turn for the dress rehearsal. Our group did really well and I enjoyed acting in sign language. Sadly in real life if I did that it would be a major offense because it isn't my first language and I am taking away from a Deaf person who could be playing that role. I will just have to act in English then. It was then time for dinner and Jack the Interpreter paid us a visit. HE IS SO DANG POPULAR! He knew at least like 50% of the people here and it was crazy! I was able to get a chance to talk to Rachel tonight. I asked her some of my questions from the night before and got some really nice answers. I found out that it was hearing people that are bad but the hearing attitude that is bad. I have totally seen that in my own life and can attest to that ignorant, arrogant attitude. We also discussed when a hearing person should or should not involve themselves in the Deaf community. There are definite times to learn and grow, like Deaf Social Nights, but the Deaf deserve a night out and in their own culture without outsiders as well. It allowed me a lot of clarity and I really enjoyed the chance to chat with her a little bit. Anyway, dinner was good and then I worked on homework for a little bit. I still have a long way to go but I am working my way there. I did find out that I only have to buy one of three textbooks if I haven't told you that already... Then I got ready for the performance and went and acted. I have it filmed and so I can show it to you later if you want. Anyway, then we all went and hung out in the basement and ate snacks, etc. It was fun. I got to look at artwork from Rand Rom and it is AMAZING! He gave me a car that he drew and I love it and I got to see sketches for his next calendar coming out soon for 2013. I SO WANT ONE! I have never seen artwork like that and every page is a search and find of ASL signs. It is FABULOUS! I can't even begin to describe.... we will have to look him up.... Anyway, then we went out swimming and it was good to hang out with Kelli and Sharri again and then I went to the hot tub. I honestly could have lived and died in the hot tub. It was fabulous! I finally got all five colored lieu today and I got to see the Deaf version of musical chairs. It is pretty cool! Alright a funny story before I finish.... Gregorio is another man here and he is really sweet. I had my first conversation with him today and it was evident that my brain is scrambled now. He signed "HOW ARE YOU BEAUTIFUL?" I for some reason interpreted that to mean that he was amazed at how pretty I was and I thanked him. He looked at me confused and tried again to ask me "BEAUTIFUL HOW ARE YOU?" This time I took it as an insult that he was questioning that I could be pretty. I looked at him in a puzzled manner. He signed one more time "HOW ARE YOU...pause... BEAUTIFUL". I finally understood that he was using beautiful as if it were my name and not a word that had to do with my looks.... It has been a long week and my brain is definitely full to capacity. This is the link to the video of our performance. It isn't the best quality and it is jumpy for a little bit but it is better than nothing. The only part that has sound is the first part where they were kind of introducing us but the rest is in ASL. We are 3 Deaf pigs and the wolf is hearing. The wolf has a cold and keeps smelling soup when he knocks on our doors to see if we have soup we don't hear him and his sneezes collapse the houses. This continues until the 3rd house and you will just have to watch and see what happens! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jAaCof7gJ0&feature=youtu.be

No comments: