Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Sewing Machine Disaster

I have wanted to own a sewing machine for a long time. But I have recently been bitten by the “crafty bug” and was extra in need of a sewing machine. I knew that money was tight and so I didn't have a lot to spend. So I decided to find a small, inexpensive sewing machine that didn't have all the bells and whistles and then save up for a better one in the future. One night I was out shopping with a friend when I found a used one at Good Will. It was only $30 and it had been tested. I figured this was as good as any other machine and I was so proud of myself for finding one. I bragged about my find to my sister and mother and they congratulated me properly.

So then I take my new found sewing machine back home with me so that I can play with it with my Mom. The first thing I learned is that I bought a MENDING machine and not a SEWING machine. I figured this would still be alright since I would be using it for small mending projects and refused to get unexcited about my amazing find. My Mom helped me set it up and we began to test it. It went for maybe 5 seconds but the bottom bobbin wasn't sending thread up properly. So we tried to fix it and before we knew it, the machine wouldn't work at all! My Mom felt awful and kept saying she broke the machine and I just kept laughing. I couldn't believe that for one I didn't even buy a sewing machine and secondly that it didn't even last through being tested. Thankfully I didn't spend a lot of money on it! And now I can always harass my Mom that she broke my first sewing machine :)

No comments: