Sunday, April 15, 2012

Yard Gets Flooded

As most people will attest, I have a punctuality issue. I am late to EVERYTHING. One Sunday I was so proud of myself because I was ready early. Marc had just left for work and I was on my way to church when I noticed that there was sitting water in our front yard and it was starting to come in through the front door. I quickly ran outside, in my Sunday clothes, to figure out what was going on. I found that the water was still coming out of the ground and I didn’t know how to stop it. I started calling my parents and Mikkel just praying that someone would answer their phone. Mikkel hung up on me and I called him right back. I knew that they were at church but I needed help now. Mikkel answered his phone and went and found my Dad. He walked me through how to turn off my water and instructed me to start digging a trench to get the water away from the house. I called my bishop and left a message explaining what was happening and I let the Primary President know that once again I would be late for church. I ran down the street and borrowed the plumbing skills of our awesome neighbor in turning off our water and their shovel so that I could start digging a trench. My parents were shocked to find that I didn’t own a shovel but I haven’t needed one yet and so it hasn’t seemed like a necessity. We will be owning one here in the future though. I came back and started digging away. I am sure I was a sight tearing up my front yard in a skirt and nice shirt. With the water turned off and the trench dug the rest of the water went away very quickly. I then was ready to go to church but without water at my house I had no way of getting all of the mud off of my hands and arms before heading off to church. I went and visited Marc at work and used their bathrooms to clean up. After church I made contact with a different plumber so that they could come fix the pipes. Depending on where the break happened would determine how hard and expensive it would be to fix. He came over the next day and was able to find the problem and turn back on our water. The pipe that broke was part of our sprinkling system and so he turned that off but it allows us to live our every day lives with water and wonderful thinks like toilets and showers! I am so glad that the whole thing is over but it was definitely a memorable experience!

No comments: