Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Surgery Tales

As I went in to have the surgery that would confirm my diagnosis, I was really grateful to have Marc, Mom, Dad, and Mikkel there with me. It was a little scary to think that someone would be chopping me open soon and all of the things that could possibly go wrong. But as nervous as I was, I think Mikkel was more nervous. They asked me to explain my surgery in my own words and I explained what would happen and that they would have a laser in the room if they found any lesions large enough to remove. Mikkel’s eyes got so big! I could just see him envisioning this end-of-the-world type laser being used on his sister. I think he enjoyed talking to the anesthesiologist though. She said that they were going to put a tube down my throat after I was asleep (again Mikkel’s eyes got huge!) and all the rest of the typical instructions. Mikkel has wanted to be a vet and so they were talking and she said that a dog is way easier to put under than a person because you just lift of their tongue and everything is right there. I am not so sure Mikkel will still be a vet after that trip but maybe I will be wrong. Anyway, I got ready in my cute hospital gown, slippers, and hat and was getting ready to go into surgery. They came and took my glasses and gave me the last thing of drugs before I would head back. These were the drugs that were supposed to just relax me. I remember them giving me the drugs but I don’t even remember them taking my glasses, which happened like 1 minute later. My Mom and Mikkel then had fun holding fingers to see what I could see without my glasses and eventually it turned into a signing quiz. I guess I got them all right but Mikkel signed 20 wrong and I corrected him. My family thought it was pretty funny and got a good laugh about it but I don’t remember any of that. They then said their goodbyes and I was wheeled off to the operating room. The next thing I remember is actually on the table and they took my arm out of the nice warm blanket and I was really annoyed with them. Eventually they covered both of my arms back up and so I peacefully fell asleep again.

The next thing I know I am waking up in recovery. I kept telling the nurse I needed to use the bathroom and she kept telling me that I had a pad on and could use that. I refused to do that! I waited until she finally let me up and I really woke up once I felt the pain that going to the bathroom caused. I walked back to my bed and she asked for a name of someone to come back with me. I asked for my Mom and Marc to come back but I could tell she thought I was simply spouting off random names. I asked the nurse before she left how the surgery went and she said that they didn’t find anything. I almost started crying because I needed there to be something and I needed answers after this whole ordeal. I guess my nurse just hadn’t been informed because they had found something and they had told Marc and my Mom about it. They informed me when they came back of what they found. I definitely had all of the starting signs of endometriosis. I would meet with the doctor on Monday and we would finalize a treatment plan for me. I was then allowed to dress myself, though the nurse didn’t think I could do that either and came in to check on me, and then leave to go home. I slept most of the day and then enjoyed being babysat by everyone. Though without them I would have been a lot sorer! I was able to heal quickly and only missed one day of work. Every once in a while the area is still tender and it still doesn’t really like to have pressure put on it but overall I have now healed from the surgery and am hoping to not need another one ever again!

I had two incisions used for the surgery but only one had a cool bruise. Check out my battle wounds from my first surgery!



It looked way cooler in a few days but I only ever took pictures of it after with my cell phone because I could do that by myself and I couldn't do it with my camera.

No comments: