Sunday, April 22, 2012

Deaf Social Night

I love being able to be around the Deaf culture. This week I have had the opportunity to watch lectures, go to two different social nights, and spend a lot of time talking in ASL. It has been an awesome week! On one of the social nights I was able to watch a woman sign who was in her 80s probably. She had talked about how different it was now for Deaf people than it was when she was growing up. Her story of her childhood made me so sad to realize that people used to think that if you were deaf than you were mentally insane. It was an amazing experience though to learn from past generations and to get to know her story. I was surprised at how much I understood and how much more I have grown to love this part of my life. I am almost always talking with my hands now and Marc makes fun of me for it. He is always saying that he can’t even hold my hand because I never hold still! Sadly the poor boy has a point but I have no desire to stop signing, though I do miss being able to hold his hand!

No comments: