Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What a day!

Though I adore my job, there are days that I come home and I think, “Why on earth am I a librarian?” Most people think of librarians to be the people who sit calmly behind the desk, speak only in whispers, know exactly where every book in the library is and what it is about, and have tons of time to read at work. I have yet to find a library where these rules apply.

One Friday I came in and this group of boys was in the parking lot. This is a group of boys that I deal with at least a couple of times a week. Their offenses range from throwing rocks at each other, to throwing each other into trees, to grabbing the girls bahookies (ask Mikkel for a correct translation for that word), to eating, to bullying, and the list could just keep going. They really do make for exciting days when they are there. But on this day I got out of my car and noticed them playing in the parking lot. They had a giant metal pole that they were trying to hit each other with and they were in the main entrance to the parking lot. I figured if they missed each other they were going to hit a car. They then started throwing giant rocks at each other. Before I even made it into the building I was dealing with this group! I told them that if they wanted to play at the park it was around the corner but this was a library and needed to be treated like one. I went to leave and they swore at me. With that they were kicked off of library property. From there it seemed like that is how my day went. I had grumps and people all upset that I expected them to follow the rules. I know I am weird!

Thankfully my typical days aren’t like this but sometimes I wonder if I work in a library or a bar!

No comments: