Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Library Episode #4

My favorite patrons are the little ones that come into the library. We have this adorable little three year old that comes to the library and I am amazed at how smart he is! As he walked in the door he explained to me that he was wearing a camouflage jacket but he would blend in with the mud and not the trees because it was gray. He went and looked at books and came back later with his final selections. I was being silly and pointing to a picture of a frog and asking it was cat and things like that. He told me I was silly and laughed at me. I then thought that I could use this as a teaching moment and asked if he wanted to learn how to say cat in sign language. I explained that you take your hand like you were showing your whiskers and pulled out. He looked at me very seriously and said, “I am a boy and I DON’T have whiskers!” With that bit of knowledge he wouldn’t even try to sign it. I now think of that sign just a little bit different….

No comments: