Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I Had No Idea!!!!

I had no idea that one Friday could case so much turmoil in our little home. The night before we had just gotten back late from Mikkel’s graduation and I woke up early because I had a library conference to attend, I know I really do have a grown up job now because I even attend conferences :) I used to attend conferences all the time with my Dad and Mom and now I am the one going to the classes instead of playing in the pool…. I might have to have Marc start going to conferences so I can play in the pool instead. Anyway, to rewind a little bit, Kiara has always gotten these little white sores on her lips. They look like a cross between a canker sore and a zit and they always seem to come when there is stress in her life. I had asked about them and had been told not to worry as long as they went away and didn’t grow. They always seemed to go away and they got nicknamed her “stress blisters”. Anyway, I had noticed that she had gotten one the other day and had kind of been keeping an eye on it. When I woke up on Friday morning her lip was four times the size it needed to be. I woke Marc up in a panic and told him I needed him to look at her lip because it was huge. It kept sleepily telling me that it was a little big last night but it was fine. I kept insisting he wake up and when he did he agreed that her lip was huge. I called my Dad and he advised me to take her to an Animal Clinic. I couldn’t because of the conference but I dragged Marc out of bed to take her.

Then the worst of it started for me. I had to just sit in the conference pretending to care about customer service knowing that something was wrong and I didn’t know what or how to fix it. I also knew that that morning our new dryer was supposed to be delivered and Marc was trying to be in two places at once and I couldn’t be there at all to help. It was a little bit of a stressful morning.

The good news is that everything worked out. We found out that Kiara is allergic to plastic and I didn’t even know that was an option for cats. That was the reason for the sore in the first place and the reason for the inflammation was due to her excessive bathing that she has always done. We were instructed to get her a new food and water dish, which she has now, and to give her medicine twice a day. Giving her medicine proved to be tricky as it took one of us holding her down and the other giving her the medicine. It must have tasted really gross because as soon as we put her down she would race to her water dish. But now she is fine and her lip is even growing back hair from where the sores had caused it not to grow anymore. You would never know that anything was ever wrong with her. Thank heavens it was a simple as switching her dishes!

No comments: