Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Jerusalem Trip - Flight There

This has been an odd trip so far.  I am the type of person who starts packing WAY in advance, even if only mentally, and then takes WAY too much stuff!  I am always afraid of needing something or wanting a different outfit.  This trip we had so much going on in our lives that I couldn't even plan for this trip.  Thankfully, Melis sent me a packing list of the things I would need and then I had a checklist to go from.  Without that I don't know if I would have made it or at least it would have been a very interesting trip full on mismatch clothes and no socks!

I also did a good job of not stressing about this trip until it was about time to go and then the stress came out.  Poor Marc, I went from lamb to lion in about .2 seconds.  I am so glad that I took Friday off for my trip.  Instead of worrying and rushing, I got to relax and take my time.  I even got to hold a sleeping Kiara in my arms for a little bit.  It was a very nice morning.

Due to technical difficulties we ended up leaving a little late from Flagstaff and there was a storm coming through.  We made it to Phoenix fine and hit slight traffic but that only made it so Marc couldn't hold his breath through the tunnel.  He held out for 40 seconds but it took us 1:55 to get through.  I was able to hold my breath the whole time & could even talk at the same time.  My skills from childhood do come in handy :)  My Mom would be so proud!!

After arriving at the airport we parked in 4A West and off we went on our merry way.  After our trip to Guatemala my mother would call me a terrorist because I tried to take safety pins on a plane and got flagged for having a dangerous weapon.  After this trip I don't know that I was a terrorist but I was definitely a security risk!  We checked my bag that was, hopefully, within a pound of the max.  Marc inspected the number on the scale but I never looked as I was praying I wasn't over and didn't want to draw any attention to myself.  The attendant didn't give it a second look and it was soon whisked away.

Before I go to security, for the first time, I need to talk about waiting in line with Marc.  He & I used sign language often when we are in public.  It is so much nicer to sign in a noisy restaurant than yell at each other and catch half of a conversation.  Well at the airport we switched into signing mode.  Marc's signing has really improved and it is so fun to communicate this way with him.  Marc & I were signing away and I was scolding him for something he said when he got a pondering face.  He signed that he wondered if anyone around us thought we were Deaf and I remarked that they only would if they were clueless because our signing skills weren't that good & our laughter gave us away.  However, as we approached the desk the woman did look apprehensive about how to help me and kept looking at my hands.  I spoke in English as I approached the desk and her shoulders dropped slightly.  She asked for an emergency contact and I have her Marc's name & number.  As I gestured who they would be calling, because Marc has still only signed, she looked a little dubious but wrote down the information.  I guess maybe she did think Marc was Deaf.  That would be just fine with Marc as he likes being Deaf.  I think this lets him see what his childhood could have been like or how his life could be different now. I like that we are starting to be bilingual in our home!

Anyway, we left the ticket counter, said our goodbyes and I went off to my section.  I always fly out of section C & went to go wait in line.  However, I was supposed to fly out of section B.  Oops!  So they sent me to B and I got to say goodbye to Marc again.  Then after my wain in line they wouldn't let me through because my boarding pass didn't have my full name.  Strike two!  I went back to the ticket counter and got another boarding pass.  I said goodbye to Marc again & headed back to security, but this time I got to use the short line when I got a phone call from Marc saying that I still had the car keys.  Strike three!  I went back out again & gave him the keys and a final goodbye and struck out for the security line for the 4th time.  I should note that saying goodbye was hard all four times!!  Aren't things supposed to get easier with practice?  I guess somethings never should though.

Now the part had come that I feared.  I was bringing a lot of chocolate chips to Melis but they added so much weight that I had to carry them on and couldn't check them.  I couldn't find anything saying I couldn't but I am sure it isn't encouraged either.  Sure enough though, I had a lot of chocolate chips to get through security.  I tried to get my laptop and liquids out and make sure I wouldn't draw too much attention to myself and these chocolate chips.  But, alas, I forgot by belt and set off the body scan.  I then had to be patted down and was finally cleared.  I get through and call Marc only to discover that the car is M.I.A.  I was trying to explain where we had parked and he kept insisting he had come out the right way.  He searched the garage and finally found the car.  He had come out of a different elevator and had gone to where the car would have been had we been by that elevator.  Poor boy!

Because of the boarding pass issue I got fast tracked onto the plane.  I boarded quickly and found that my seat had been changed yet again.  I stowed my luggage and began waiting for others to board.  At one point a steward asked if I was who I said I was and I confirmed with a quizzical expression.  He said they just needed to double check that I had boarded.  I thought it was odd but a few minutes later an all-call was made that I needed to make myself known immediately.  I raised my hands, as if surrendering, and another steward came my way.  Again, I confirmed my identity and this time I had to show my passport.  They radioed in that they had found me and went on their merry way again.  I don't know why they were trying to find me but they sure were!  Maybe it was the chocolate chips!

The flight was nice and I had 4 seats to myself.  4!!!  As soon as the fasten seat belt sign was off I was passed out!!!  It was very, very lovely!!  We did hit some turbulence but every time we did one baby would start screaming.  However, neither kept me awake for very long and off to sleepy world, I would go!

Then we landed in London.  It was a little disconcerting the first time we drove on the wrong side of the road to get to our terminal.  The airport is under construction and as the driver would go around and around different roundabouts (backwards, mind you), I kept wondering if we really were going to a different terminal or if we would ever get there.  We must have because now I am sitting waiting for my next flight.  I have even slept in this terminal because I had that much time.  I have about 4 hours before I board again.  In that time I hope to catch up on my blogging, write a paper, and maybe take another nap.  Oh, and I should eat something!  That would be good.

I have really liked sitting in the London airport.  There is a giant Christmas tree with lights and sparkles that I watch and there are always people to watch too.  I love the different accents!  Everywhere I turn someone is speaking a different language.  How delightful!


And they have these cute little lamps everywhere!  I feel like they are off the set of Singing in the Rain.  


The kids have the coolest suitcases as well.  I watched one girl have a vehicle suitcase that she sat on while her Dad pulled her along.  I want one!!  The shops inside this terminal are shops you would find in a fancier outlet mall.  It is quite amazing!  The only complaint is the obnoxious alarm that goes off every fifteen minutes and lasts for 2-3 minutes.  I need it to stop!  However they have the cutest little restroom signs showing that it is for boys and girls.  I am sure I looked like a total tourist to get this photo but I couldn't pass it up!


Before I forget, Marc made a joke in ASL!  My flight left late and there was a rumor that it wouldn't effect our arrival time.  I said it was a fast flight.  Marc went on to use classifiers and show a cop plane pulling the other plan over and giving them a citation.  It made my day!!  It takes awhile before you can joke in a foreign language and he just jumped in!  What a proud little wife I am!

1 comment:

Just US said...

You have a true talent in holding your breath and talking through tunnels! Truly AMAZING!