Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Adventure Begins

So it is official, we have moved out and are even starting to be moved in again. One of the things we had decided was that with this move Kiara was going to get declawed. She had this awful habit of using your legs as climbing poles and it was a habit that really did need to stop. But I also wanted her to be declawed for when we have children one day and when she is still little it is better to do it then when the cat is older. So off Marc took her to the vet and they kept her a few days to make sure she was healing properly, etc. I got to bring her home a few days later and they told me she was healing fast and well and that I should just try not to let her jump from too high up or let her bite her feet. I figured this would be a peace of cake and the afternoon proved me right but by night time you could tell her feet were bothering her and she wouldn't stop chewing on them. It got to the point that I was following her around the living room and knew that there would be no sleep for me that night. Well Aunt Gerry and I started to brain storm how to fix this problem because we couldn't have anything on her feet that she could get hurt by when she chewed it off. We tried new born socks and within one flick of her paw it was off. Plan B was to try newborn footie pajamas and let me tell you they don't sell those in cat sizes but is you were wondering Kiara is the same size as a 0-3 month old. She really must be our "first child" because we have bought her clothes! Anyway the pajamas didn't work because she could climb out of the neckhole. So plan C was to try socks for children just a little bit older and tape them on. This last all of 5 seconds at the most but it definitely earned the most comical award for the night. Kiara tried to shake all 4 paws simultaneously to get the socks off as she walked and I wished I could have filmed it. Anyway from there we were able to wrap her feet and the back two paws stayed covered all night long. The next day I made Marc take her back to the vet and they coned her. Luckily she is off the cone now and her feet are healing well, when she leaves them alone. But she should be all healed up soon!!!

No comments: