Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Self-Esteem

Last night I had a growing experience. Well at least a learning experience. I had a chance to go shopping with Megan last night and I had a blast. We were at Kohls and we were looking at clothes. We went to this rack that on one side had those silly slogan shirts. The ones that are and orange looking at a glass or orange juice and saying "Mom?". Or the one that says I am not short I am fun sized. (I have decided for the record that I think I want one of those shirts just for the fun of it. I want to claim I am fun sized!) Anyway, so those types of shirts are over there and then on the other side are some punk-like hoodies. I noticed that there is a sign saying that the Self-Esteem hoodies are on sale. So I start looking for ones that say something that would boost your self-esteem. "You are absolutely gorgeous today." "Why yes I am having a fabulous hair day!" "Why yes, I do look 5 lbs lighter." Or something like that. I mean what else would a Self-Esteem hoodie be? (As a disclaimer, I obviously don't get out very often. I either go shopping with five kids, which is not the funnest experience of your life and definitely not very good for goof-off girl shopping. Or I would go with Marc and though I love him dearly, he is a boy and just isn't as fun to go shopping with. Or I would go by myself, which is also not very fun. So I have stuck with online shopping. So I am little naive when it comes to the real world.) Anyway, I wanted to find what hoodies were on sale because I LOVE hoodies. But I can't find any so I ask Megan, "What is a self-esteem hoodie?" She asks me if I am joking to which I sheepishly respond that I am not. She laughs and tells me that Self-Esteem is a brand name. Oh..... I confessed that clearly I live a very sheltered life. So then I bought one because they were on sale and I have always wanted a punk hoodie but they are always super expensive. So now I have educated you so that when you see a Self-Esteem hoodie, you won't be looking for the ones that have feel-good messages on them.

No comments: