Tuesday, September 22, 2009

First Prayers

Kaelen has been saying family prayers with us for a while. He folds his arms and kneels on the ground with the kids. At meals it is usually one are folded while the other is still shoving food down his throat. But he does participate with us all the time. The other day he was sitting at the counter eating and Melissa and a friend were talking and Kaelen caught my attention. He motioned for me to fold my arms and I did. He then bowed his head and waited for me to follow suit. He then said his first prayer. "Thank you. Amen." It was by far the cutest thing ever. We said multiple prayers after this. Just short ramblings and then we would put our head back up. Tonight I tried to help him say the prayer and he was frantically waving at me as I said it wrong. But his first prayer hit me very strongly. His first prayer was absolutely perfect. How many times do I forget to be thankful for everything in my life? How many times is it Lord I need thine help?

I talked to my nursery kids on Sunday about saying prayers. I explained to them about how we need to thank our Father in Heaven but we can also tell him about our day. It made me look back at my personal prayers. There are times that I forget or neglect to talk to my Father in Heaven about the daily challenges and joys of my day. I was so grateful for my little friend and the reminder he gave me of what my prayers should be. I owe a lot to him and the reminders that he gives me on a daily basis. Sometimes he teaches me to just enjoy life. There will be moments where I am stressed out about school and he will come and sit on my lap. This now makes doing school basically impossible. My initial reaction is to become more frustrated. But how can you get upset when you have such a cute rugrat wanting to cuddle with you? How can you get upset when he just wants to spend time with you. It makes me sit back and realize that all of those little moments are so important. I realize now that I want to be remembered as being the type of person who took time for those rugrats. They teach me so much and I am so grateful for that.

No comments: