Saturday, May 7, 2011

Our First Week

This last week was the first week in our new home. I don't know if either Marc or I have ever been so exhausted before in our life! It was filled to the brim of cleaning, unpacking, repacking, and still trying to live a normal life. The house made sure that he were going to work for our new position and kept throwing all sorts of obstacles in our way. Marc is becoming quite the handyman for the first time in our marriage has a "honey-do" list. We spent Sunday morning taking apart the dryer as our dryer decided it was done working. Both Marc and I were covered in lint but it was good to have to work together to solve the problem. We learned all about garbage disposals as we replaced that in the house as well. And we are getting really good at washing our dishes by hand because our dishwasher suddenly stopped draining. Silly appliances!! I am so grateful for all of the time spent this week as our house now feels like our new home.

Marc and I have spent time walking around the yard and deciding what we want done or not done. It has been fun to plan a backyard for little kids with flowers and grass and possibly a swing set. I have come home a couple of times this week with Marc chopping something down or out water the few beautiful flowers that we have. The outside will definitely be Marc's project but it has been so fun to watch him out there working and being so excited with the progress he has made.

This week has been a week of firsts for us. The first being that our first dinner in our new home was fabulous. I made a garlic shrimp pizza that was super easy and delicious. Marc and I will make tweaks to it next time but it was such a fun meal and we celebrated it to the fullest. The next first was that I made my first dinner that was absolutely disgusting. Needless to say it ended up in the trash and we ate bean dip for dinner. Marc was such a sweetheart and kept saying that the bean dip was phenomenal and I had really outdone myself and things along that line. He knew that messing up dinner really bothered me. I kept insisting the bean dip couldn't be that amazing because all I did was open cans and mix but Marc kept insisting what an amazing job I did on. I am so grateful that he loves and supports me enough to continually insist that my bean dip was amazing.

Kiara is finally starting to settle into the house. Everything things get packed or unpacked or moved the poor thing thinks we are leaving her or moving again. She hates both of the options equally and we try to let her know that we are here for her and aren't going anywhere. It probably doesn't help that the poor thing is in heat, which I am sure just complicates the problem. Now Marc and I are faced with the next issues of do we get her another cat? Do we want her to have kittens? And all of those pet questions. Sometimes I really wish she could talk just so I could ask her her opinion.

I have figured out though that we have a bilingual cat, too bad the other language isn't English. She is fluent in cat (meowing) and in bird, this sounds like she is chattering like a monkey actually. I first noticed the chattering when we stayed one weekend at my parents house. But last night Marc and I enjoyed a good laugh as she tried to talk a fly into coming down from the ceiling and play with her. She tried chattering at him for a long time and when that didn't work then she tried meowing at him. Finally I knocked him off of the ceiling and Kiara enjoyed playing with her friend until she sat on him and he didn't survive that impact on his little body so well.

We still have a long way to go until we are done moving but every step forward is so greatly appreciated and we are looking forward to being here for a long time. Marc can start the process for being a correctional officer soon and prayers and good thoughts are always appreciated!

1 comment:

Just US said...

YEAH!!! I can't wait to see pictures of everything you guys are doing!! Make sure to take pictures throughout the process because you will enjoy looking back at them. If not, you can always delete them :) Kiara needs a robotic friend by the way! :)

Also, I haven't even started packing the box I need to send you so it will get there - eventually. :)