Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Happy Endings

So I have decided that I am a sucker for happy endings. I love things with happy endings and silver linings and things that make you feel good when you get done reading them. I like things that aren't necessarily realistic. I don't enjoy reading about the real-world-struggles. I like reading things like Ramona Quimby and how the worst thing that happens to her is having to use toothpaste from a bag because she squeezed the whole tube out. If that is the worst thing that happens in my day, I am doing pretty good.

For school this semester I have had to read "The Kite Runner." I had a hard time with this book because it is so sad. Every time a silver lining would come along, it would be crushed just a quickly as it came. I knew it was sad before I started to read it but I just kept hoping it wouldn't be so sad at the end. Every time a silver lining would disappear, it would break my heart. I think the reason I can't handle real-world-struggles in fictional things is because I relate too closely to the characters. I get excited when they succeed and I get troubled with their worries and saddened at their defeats in life. This book was filled with those saddened, troubled times. I have to say that I enjoyed the book when it was all said and done. I will never read it again. But I can't deny that even though that book was so hard to read the quality of that book was amazing.

No comments: